Sunday, January 3, 2010

Wow! My first post of the new year. 2009 has bid us adieu and 2010 beckons with new possibilities. Forgive me, folks, it's been way too long since my last post. In the famous words of Ricky Ricardo, it seems I have "some 'splainin to do."

Lots has happened since my last post. Some of you are aware that Mom's health took a rather dramatic downward turn last year (around the time of my last post) and caring for her and her affairs has taken priority. She needs assistance managing most of her daily routines now and for a long time it was left mostly to me to fill the bill. A home care aid now serves her during the week, but regular doctors' visits and week-end meal preparation still fall under my purview. My brothers have been princes about stepping in to take over managing her finances and helping with the frequent trips to the doctor. Everyone does what they can do to help out; it's just that I'm the daughter and I live in close proximity. The good news is that her condition has stabilized and, God willing, at 83 years of age, it looks like she'll be with us for a while longer.

Needless to say, all of the caretaking left me with little time for leisurely writing. It's been all I can do to manage the work stuff which, I might add, began to pick up towards the end of the year. Max has been a trooper throughout all of the upheavals to his schedule. He's adapted to whatever change has been thrown at him with barely any protest. Well, maybe a little at first, but he came around quickly. It turns out he's become part of Mom's therapy; she always brightens up when he's around.

With any luck, I might very well find favor and fortune in the first year of the new decade. I pray we all do.

No comments:

Post a Comment